Our Client - Historic England
Historic England are the public body that helps care for England’s historic places. They record and help maintain listed buildings, monuments, parks, gardens, archaeological sites and conservation areas. It's essential that they have the best instruments for the task so surveys are as accurate and efficient as possible.
Historic England wanted a day for their decision-makers and end-users. They wanted to bring these people up to date with the latest survey equipment and techniques. They also wanted to enable networking with other heritage professionals.
Our ties within the Heritage and Archaeology sector, as well as our extensive product knowledge across all the relevant instruments made us the perfect candidates to set up a demonstration day with.
We planned The Heritage Open Day.
The event was in conjunction with the National Trust. It took place at Fountains Abbey, a large monastic ruin and world heritage site in North Yorkshire. The venue came complete with lecture theatre and cafe facilities for guests.
The event only included equipment relevant to the Heritage and Archaeology sector.
The morning featured lectures given by experts from Historic England and the National Trust. Specialists from Opti-cal also gave presentations, as did supplier GeoSLAM. Lectures gave context and clarity to end users, and explained how to achieve surveys with quality data outputs.
We provided refreshments throughout lectures and a lunch was also arranged.
After lunch demonstrations began with the flight of a WingtraOne, a vertical take-off and landing UAV. The day concluded in an outdoor demonstration area right next to the ruins. Many products were on display and experts from Opti-cal were available to speak to.
- WingtraOne Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- Stream C Ground Penetrating Radar
- Leica DS200 Ground Penetrating Radar
- Leica DISTO Laser Measure Range
- Leica TS16 Total Station
- Leica Pegasus:Backpack Mobile Mapping System
- GS07 GNSS
- Leica RTC360 Laser Scanner
- GeoSLAM Horizon
The day was very well received by both the customer and the attendees.
“I thought the programme worked very well indeed and provided a lot of information and ‘food for thought’ on what geospatial survey can offer the heritage sector these days.
I personally learned a lot today, from the quality and quantity of data that can be captured for a heritage site within only a few hours, to the application of GPR technology for adding a ‘beneath the surface’ layer of information. I thought this was an excellent presentation and pitched at just the right level for such a mixed audience.” Paul Bryan, Geospatial Survey Manager for Historic England.
We surveyed the attendees of the event, and the results were very positive. Over 90% of the attendees rated the event very good and excellent, with the rest saying the event was good. 75% said that the event was very organised, with the other 25% saying it was extremely organised. We asked attendees if they would attend one of Opti-cal’s events in the future, and 83.3% said they would be likely or extremely likely to do so.
The lectures were the best-received part of the day, described as “informative, concise, [and] a good length.” One attendee went into some detail, saying: “I liked the history of Fountains and the ongoing research... using some of the equipment demonstrated”.
The demonstration part of the day also had good feedback from attendees. One person said: “There was a good variety of technology available [and] the team were very helpful.”
Opti-cal offer survey equipment for hire or sale. We also provide servicing, training and support, so you get a complete service that you can rely on.
We have 14 Service Centres nation-wide, over 30 delivery vehicles and a 1000-strong state-of-the-art hire fleet, so we can help whenever you need us.
A certified team of technical support experts is always standing by and our training team can tailor a course if you need extra help.
We offer in-house calibrations, servicing and repairs on a wide range of equipment. With five 100% Leica-approved workshops and 7 GeoMax-approved workshops, you can put your trust in us.
Do you need a demonstration and information day tailored especially for you and your employees?
Contact us now to discuss your needs:
Call us: 0330 678 0181
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org